Across the First District, six separate thefts from automobiles occurred Saturday and Sunday, according to police.
Here’s where the thefts were reported:
- the 500 block of G Street NE, between 11:40 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. Sunday
- the 800 block of 12th Street NE, Sunday between 6:30 and 8 p.m.
- the 300 block of 13th Street SE, Saturday between 3:30 and 4 p.m.
- the 1000 block of F Street NW, Saturday between 8 and 11:30 p.m.
- the 1300 block of I Street NW, Saturday between 5:45 and 9:30 p.m.
- the 1000 block of 6th Street NW, Sunday between 1 and 3 a.m.
In some of the instances, drivers had left valuable items on the cars’ seats, police said.
The Metropolitan Police Department advises drivers to keep valuables out of sight, remove radio faceplates, and hide shopping bags and dashboard-mounted GPS devices.
Thefts from cars parked in the First District in the past 30 days (Oct. 17 through Nov. 16) rose 25 percent since the same time last year. MPD crime data shows 180 reported thefts from cars in the district for the past month, compared with 144 from the same period last year.