Students at the 410 E St. school were rushed outside about 10:15 a.m., Assistant Principal Steven Miller said.
“We got the kids out and moved them here,” the principal said from Sherwood Recreation Center, the 640 10th St. NE facility where students were relocated.
Students were back at the school by 1:30 p.m., teacher Matt Foster said.
The leak occurred when a contractor at the school hit a gas line, Washington Gas spokesman Ruben Rodriguez said. The gas was shut off at 11 a.m., and repairs are ongoing. Reentry to building was safe as of about 11:15 a.m., Rodriguez said.
Stuart-Hobson has been under renovation since spring 2012. The multimillion-dollar upgrade is intended to create additional art and technology facilities.
Police said in an initial alert that the 500 block of 4th Street NE — two blocks east of Union Station — was closed to traffic.
Traffic Advisory: Street Closure in the 500 blk of 4th St NE due to a gas leak.
— DC Police Department (@DCPoliceDept) January 22, 2015
DCPS reports they have evacuated Stuart Hobson Middle School, 410 E Street NE, due to a gas leak. Students are at Sherwood Rec. Ctr.
— 311 DC Operations (@311DCgov) January 22, 2015
D.C. Public Schools did not immediately respond to an inquiry.