A handful of local entrepreneurs have applied to the Mission Main Street Grants program by Chase Bank, which will select 20 small businesses from across the country to receive $100,000 grants.
Chase Bank’s mission is to increase awareness of the roles small businesses play in their communities and to help owners move those businesses forward.
DCanter Wines co-owner Michael Warner applied for the program after he heard about it from a friend.
He said that if his business wins a grant it would use it to further develop its new e-commerce presence.
“Because we just launched that site, our goal is to expand our sales presence in 14 states,” Warner said. “But that requires we get all of our legal work in place. We would use this grant to expand our business in that direction.”
Other participating businesses include:
- DC Guitar Lessons: Top-rated guitar instruction by long-time musician Gregg Hammond. 701 Delaware Ave. SW
- Dynamic Services, LLC: Professionals and business service provider offering CPR, First Aid and AED training. SW
- Gateway International EMS: There for when healthcare industry need to transports patients and medical crews. 800 4th St. SW, Suite S611
- HomeEdison: Company that outfits homes with solar energy systems and energy storage systems. 528 F St. Terrace SE
- Mikeo Art: Cartoonists for hire in the District.
- Speakeasy Spirits: Local wholesaler and distributor of small-scale beers and liquors.
Voting ends June 19. Grants will be awarded Sept. 20.