(Updated at 12:30 p.m.) A “small fire” broke out in the control room of a Pepco substation in Southwest this morning, a Pepco spokesman said.
The D.C. Fire and EMS Department received a report of a fire at the power company’s facility at Half and T streets SW about 9 a.m., according to the agency said. The substation sits on land that is slated to become part of the future D.C. United stadium at Buzzard Point.
No injuries from the fire have been reported. Electricity service also wasn’t affected, Pepco spokesman Marcus Beal said.
The fire was caused by electrical equipment that overheated, Deputy Fire Chief John Donnelly said. Some of Pepco’s equipment was damaged from the fire and smoke, he added.
By about 10:45 a.m., the fire was extinguished, according to D.C. Fire and EMS. But firefighters still were working to contain the smoke.
“It’s a big enclosed building with a lot of electrical equipment so it could be dangerous,” Donnelly said. “We need to be careful as we proceed.”
Photo via Twitter/DC Fire and EMS