If you’re hoping for a break from this week’s cold weather, you’re out of luck this weekend. Temperatures are expected to continue to dip on Saturday with highs forecasted in the low-20s all weekend. The three-day weekend could also be bookended by snow, with flurries expected tonight and on President’s Day.
Whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day over the weekend or going out to enjoy a day off on Monday, you will need to bundle up this weekend. We’ll be off for Presidents Day and back on Tuesday. In the meantime, here’s everything you need to know to make the most of the holiday weekend in the Capitol Hill area:
Friends of the Southeast Library Book Sale
Southeast Library (403 7th St. SE)
Saturday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
The Friends of the Southeast Library will be selling used books to raise money for children’s programs at the library.
My School DC School Lottery Info Session
Northeast Library (330 7th St. NE)
Saturday, 11 a.m.
Join My School DC at the Northeast Library to learn more about how to apply through the common lottery for DCPS and public charter schools.
Valentine’s Concert and Sparkling Wine Tasting
Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church (201 4th St. SE)
Saturday, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
This fundraiser hosted by Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church benefits community food programs and features a concert performed by local musicians and a sparkling wine tasting conducted by Capitol Hill sommelier @DCWineWonk. Free child care is included for the duration of the event. Tickets are available online.
Holy Name Catholic Church St. Valentine’s Ball
Holy Name Catholic Church (920 11th St. NE)
Saturday, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Holy Name Catholic Church and The Knights of St. John Commandery #388 invite you to a St. Valentine’s Day Ball featuring food, dancing and a live DJ. Tickets are $15 per person or $25 per couple. To purchase tickets call 202-397-2525
Presidents Day Closings
- Trash and recycling collection will be suspended on Monday, and collection will occur a day later for all of next week
- Parking restrictions will not be enforced on Monday
- The Waterfront Metro station will be closed for tunnel repairs all weekend, with buses replacing service between Gallery Place and Navy Yard
- Yellow Line trains will run every 10 minutes between Huntington and National Airport only
- Silver Line trains will run every 10 minutes between Wiehle-Reston East and Ballston only
- Orange and Blue line trains will run every 20 minutes
- Red Line trains will run every 6-20 minutes
- On Monday, the metrorail system will open at 5 a.m. and run on a Saturday schedule (trains leave every 12 minutes)