At long last, the opportunity to ride a streetcar on H Street NE is here.
Mayor Muriel Bowser and District Department of Transportation Director Leif Dormsjo are set to officially launch streetcar service for the public Saturday morning.
Local businesses are offering specials and prizes in celebration of the District’s newest form of public transit. And if you visit a bar on the H Street corridor, there’s a streetcar-themed drinking game you can play.
For those of you who venture outside this weekend, heavy winter coats shouldn’t be necessary during the day. The temperature is expected to rise to the mid-40s Saturday and upper 5os Sunday, under sunny skies, according to The National Weather Service.
Here’s what else you might want to know for this weekend:
- Nando’s Peri-Peri is scheduled to begin serving up its grilled chicken on the H Street corridor Saturday, with D.C. United players at the grill.
- Rosedale residents are planning to meet Saturday morning for a community cleanup.
- Giant glowing rabbits are taking over The Yards Park this weekend.
- Fast-casual Korean eatery SeoulSpice has arrived in NoMa, with its “korittos.”
- This weekend is the last weekend to get a kettle-boiled bagel at Bagels and Baguettes, for now.
- Metro’s usual weekend construction work and delays are back Saturday and Sunday. Trains are single tracking between the Eastern Market and Stadium-Armory stations.