Stuart-Hobson Middle School (Photo via DCPS)(Updated at 1:45 p.m.) Stuart-Hobson Middle School was temporarily evacuated because of a gas leak.

Students at the 410 E St. school were rushed outside about 10:15 a.m., Assistant Principal Steven Miller said.

“We got the kids out and moved them here,” the principal said from Sherwood Recreation Center, the 640 10th St. NE facility where students were relocated.

Students were back at the school by 1:30 p.m., teacher Matt Foster said.

The leak occurred when a contractor at the school hit a gas line, Washington Gas spokesman Ruben Rodriguez said. The gas was shut off at 11 a.m., and repairs are ongoing. Reentry to building was safe as of about 11:15 a.m., Rodriguez said.

Stuart-Hobson has been under renovation since spring 2012. The multimillion-dollar upgrade is intended to create additional art and technology facilities.

Police said in an initial alert that the 500 block of 4th Street NE — two blocks east of Union Station — was closed to traffic.

D.C. Public Schools did not immediately respond to an inquiry.


Police car light(Updated at 2:40 p.m.) New York Avenue east of Florida Avenue was closed this morning (Monday) for about four hours because of a gas leak.

The 500 block of New York Ave. NE was blocked in both directions as of about 10:15 a.m., police said. The thoroughfare was reopened, police said at 2:15 p.m.

The leak occurred because a 2-inch gas main was damaged, a Washington Gas spokesman told The Washington Post.

Police advised drivers to use West Virginia Avenue NE and Florida Avenue NE as a detour.

Washington Gas did not respond to an inquiry.


Subscribe to our mailing list